Simple Reviews by Kim

Quick and simple reviews about anything from the newsest episode of a TV show to the classic movie no one ever watches anymore. Anything I encounter and view I will write a small review about and share it with you here.

Welcome to my brand new blog. I have been watching a lot of TV shows and movies lately to get ideas and to take notes about, not to mention it's season premiere time again I love watching where shows take their new seasons. I have thought about writing reviews for my own personal enjoyment and to record my thoughts and feelings about the things I see so I can go back and use them later. So here they are. This blog will be reviews of anything I see, TV shows, movies, music videos, online vids, webisodes, etc. Anything that I watch that interests me or anyone else who suggests them. I have even set up a brand new e-mail account for this reviewing hobby simplereviewsbykim@gmail.com. If you have any comments about a review I post or would like to suggest something for me to check out and review just drop me a line there and I'll be more than happy to help out. All that being said on with my first reviews.

I just finished watching the season premiere episode of Vampire Diaries a day late. I'm a little behind on my season premieres this year. In fact I saw 90210, Melrose Place and Vampire Diaries today. But I'm blogging Vampire Diaries. I was generally impressed with the episode as a whole but there were feelings I couldn't shake while watching it.

1) It felt like they were trying too hard to be like Twilight/True Blood without being like Twilight/True Blood. That probably doesn't make any sense but here is why, they music I swear could have been in Twilight, the photography was similar in many instances to both of them, they had a girl who can see the future where True Blood has a girl who can hear peoples thoughts and we all know about the Twilight super powers. I was a show about Vampires trying to take ideas that had already been placed in our heads by other sources and reslam them with a different set of story lines. Now I'm not knocking it because I know that when something works you should stick with it but I went into the show hoping for something with a new edge or angle like I saw with True Blood.

2) I know that the mist and the crow were part of Damon's whole thing but really were they entirely necessary. They just seemed forced and like they were trying really hard to build the suspense when there were so many other things they could be using.

3) I was impressed overall with the show and I will be watching episodes in the future but I'm not sold on the stories or the content yet. I don't know but I feel I can tell in the first 15 minutes of a show if I'm gonna like it and nothing grabbed me in the beginning. With every show that I have seriously followed I have been immediately drawn in when I first started watching. Maybe the next episode or some time soon I'll get that feeling but it was lacking as I watched this episode.

Ok now that I have shared my thoughts on Vampire Diaries moving on to the season premiere of 90210. Yet again I was generally pleased with the episode and maybe I missed too many episodes at the end of last season but I was totally lost by the story lines. I swear I watched the season finale and knew what the cliffhangers were but I don't remember when Silver joined the group again. That whole friendship just threw me off in the beginning. From then on I was just back tracking in my head and not paying attention to what was on the screen. I did like the new title sequence they have this year and the updated theme music. I am reinvested in the season and can't wait to see where they take some of these story lines especially where they take the new guy because I'm not so sure if I like him yet.

One last quick review. Loved Melrose Place. I have only seen a few of the original show episodes but I loved the characters and the mystery they built in the first episode. Very Desperate Housewives in the death within the first 10 minutes.

More reviews of new episodes to come.

1 comments:

I watched The Vampire Diaries and Melrose Place. I'm a big fan of vampire stories in general and Vampire Diaries has impressed me so far. Nice music (Mat Kearney, Silversun Pickups, etc.) and I cared for the characters, that's always a good sign.

Now Melrose Place... since I didn't watch the original I had low expectations coming into the pilot but it was interesting. I'll watch it again. If it doesn't get too soap-opera like I might stick with it.

www.reelartsy.com

Post a Comment

Followers